We’re Hiring!– Youth Organizer
The Philadelphia Student Union (PSU) is a community based youth organizing and leadership development organization led by high school aged youth with adult support. PSU is national leader in the youth organizing movement with school based, citywide, statewide, and national organizing campaigns and strategies, a well-developed media and communications infrastructure, and supportive programs for members. PSU seeks a Youth Organizer.
Job Description: Youth Organizer
Chapter Organizer (75% of time):
• Recruitment and base building at two chapter high schools.
• Building relationships with youth leaders, school & district personnel, community members, elected officials, etc.
• Attending and facilitating weekly school-based meetings of youth
• Using and designing workshops to train youth in organizing & leadership skills, anti-oppression & political education in their chapters.
• Overseeing the development and implementation of school-based organizing campaigns in the chapter school.
• Attendance at relevant coalition and school district meetings as needed.
Support Philadelphia Student Union’s ongoing work (25% of time):
• Share in facilitation of citywide Saturday meetings. Approximately 5 Saturdays a school year
• Attendance at relevant coalition and school district meetings.
• Chaperone and support two, weekend long leadership development retreats
• Support the development and implementation of a citywide organizing campaign.
• Able to work evenings and weekends when needed
• Spend 1 hour a week doing fundraising work with Individual Donor Coordinator
• Support Men’s or Women’s Group
• Experience with organizing, and/or educational policy reform.
• Experience with group facilitation and popular education techniques in running and designing interactive workshops.
• Working knowledge of Philadelphia public education system.
• Demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice and institutional change
• Experience working with youth from diverse ethnic and class backgrounds.
• Experience with campaign-based organizing.
• Ability to work independently, self-motivated and task-oriented.
• Ability to adapt quickly to changing political climate and recognize moments of opportunity for campaign growth.
Starting salary is commensurate with experience. A competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and generous annual sick days and vacation days package.
Interested Applicants Should:
Send a resume, thoughtful cover letter along with three references to email@example.com with Youth Organizer in the subject line. No phone calls please.
PSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, working class people, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The Philadelphia Student Union considers applicants for positions without regard to any legally protected status.